Our Boston Boat Accident Attorneys Can Help if You Are Injured
Holding negligent parties accountable for boating hazards in the Bay State
Here in Massachusetts, we love our boats. From sculling on the Charles River to sailing in Boston Harbor, and from kayaking in Plum Island Sound to fishing almost anywhere in the ocean, the bay or one of our more than 1,000 lakes and ponds, we are drawn to the water.
While boating is one of the great pleasures of living here, it can also pose one of the greatest dangers. In fact, according to the U.S. Coast Guard, there were 68 boating injuries in the state in 2012, and 16 fatalities. Serious boat accident injuries can include everything from electrocution and limb amputation to brain injury and drowning. If you’ve been injured in an accident on the water, Swartz & Lynch LLP can help.
The focus of our Boston-based practice is personal injury. With nearly 75 years of combined experience in helping clients recover damages for injuries suffered in boating and other accidents, our attorneys have a track record that speaks for itself. We have obtained awards in the millions of dollars on behalf of our clients and stand ready to support you.
Common causes of boating accidents
Just as there are rules of the road, there are also rules on the water. When boaters are careless or reckless and cause accidents, they can be found negligent and held financially responsible for the undue injuries, damages or other harm — even wrongful death — that victims and their loved ones suffer.
Our attorneys demonstrate a party’s negligence by establishing the following:
- That a duty of care existed (for example, the duty a boater has to operate his or her vessel carefully or the duty a boat manufacturer has to produce functional, safe boats)
- That the duty was somehow breached (the boat captain was drunk and drove into a dock or another boat, the manufacturer used cheap parts that malfunctioned and caused the boat to sink, etc.)
- That one or more victims suffered injury because of that breach in duty
- That the injuries suffered resulted in real physical, financial or emotional damages
According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the top causes of boat accidents include:
- Operator inattention
- Improper lookout
- Machinery failure
- Violation of navigation rules
- Alcohol use (OUI)
- The force of a wave or wake, which often causes capsizing
- Hazardous waters
Alcohol use is the leading factor in boating accident deaths and accounted for 17 percent of boating deaths nationwide in 2012.
Let us help you recover damages for the harm you have suffered in a boat accident
If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident, you deserve compensation for your medical expenses, loss of wages and pain and suffering. To schedule a free consultation with a skilled attorney at Swartz & Lynch LLP, call us at 857-250-0664 or contact an injury lawyer online. A lawyer from our firm will gladly arrange to meet you at your home or hospital if you are unable to travel.